While succeeding the state-of-the-art DAC and scalability as applied to the AK380 and AK320, the latest model has improved accessibility by being priced at a reasonable level.
AK4490's Single DAC-DAC, DSD-to-PCM Playback, Parametric EQ with 20bands 0.01dB, 200 Femto Second VCXO Reference Clock,
Exceptional Expandability, DLNA-based AK Connect App and Metal Touch Sensor Home Button
AK300 is capable of bit-to-bit playback up to 24bit, 192kHz.
32bit audio is downsampled using a sample-rate converter (SRC). In addition, DSD 64/128 can be played back via conversion to PCM.
A parametric equalizer (PEQ*1) was implemented in the AK380 to deliver detailed adjustment of the original sound, and an audio digital signal processor (DSP) was added to aid in this process.
This frees up CPU cycles previously needed for calculating graphic equalizers (GEQ), allowing more detailed and accurate calculations via the dedicated DSP.
The audio DSP expands the existing 10-band, ±0.5 dB graphic equalizer (GEQ*2) to 20-band, ±0.01 dB to more precisely adjust the frequency and gain (dB) as well as more accurately specifying the frequency range via Q value adjustments.
Astell&Kern implemented a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO) high-precision clock with a reference jitter value of 200 femto seconds*3.
Femto clocks are commonly used in high-end audio systems, and the clock is measured in high-precision femtosecond units (one quadrillionth of a second).
What is VCXO?
A VCXO, or a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator, is a type of crystal oscillation device that creates oscillation frequencies. External environmental stimuli, which in this case mean voltage inputs, influence the frequency value. Adjustments to the voltage input tunes a precise frequency value.
What is Jitter?
Jitter refers to the undesired deviation in time that occurs in a periodic signal. In this case, jitter is the error that occurs in the reference clock required to perform the sampling in digital audio equipment.
By utilizing a femto clock, the AK300 is able to create a more accurate frequency value and make fine jitter corrections.
As a result, the AK300 faithfully reproduces analog sound closer than ever to the original source when transmitting a digital signal as an analog signal.
The AK300 supports USB DAC functionality.
The AK300 can be connected to a PC or Mac via USB for use as a USB DAC that supports PCM/DSD.
When playing back music stored on a PC or Mac, the Dual-DAC is able to deliver richer audio of outstanding soundstage and resolution well beyond the limits of a built-in sound card.
* When using the AK300 as a USB DAC, its PEQ settings are not applied, and output up to 24bit, 96kHz is supported.
* DSD 64/128 is converted via DSD-to-PCM for playback.
Astell&Kern has further enhanced DLNA functionality via the AK Connect app.
Wireless networking DLNA (version 1.0) connects to a NAS or PC, and is easily controlled with a smartphone or tablet through AK Connect.
Source files on a PC or NAS can be freely transferred and streamed without the hassle of turning on the computer and physically connecting with a cable.
If on the same access point (AP) network, music files on a PC or NAS can be played back via DLNA.
The AK300 features the same metal touch interface as the AK380 and AK320.
The Metal Touch functions as a home key and interfaces with the device via pressure-sensitive touches.
The AK300 can be expanded to a variety of devices through the micro-USB and balanced audio out ports located at the bottom of the product.
It can be connected with the AMP as well as professional high-impedance headphones for high output and USB for data transfer and charging.
It can also be connected to the Cradle for balanced audio functionality as well as the CD-RIPPER to conveniently rip audio CDs.
- Body Color
- Body Material
- Supported Audio Formats
- Sample rate
- Output Level
- Feature Enhancements
- Midnight Black
- 4inch WVGA (480 x 800) Touchscreen
- WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- PCM : 8kHz ~ 192kHz (8/16/24bits per Sample)
DSD : DSD64, Stereo / DSD128, Stereo
- Unbalance 1.98Vrms / Balance 1.98Vrms (Condition No Load)
- AKM AK4490 x1 (Single DAC)
- Support up to 24bit / 192kHz Bit to Bit Decoding
- USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC))
/ Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)
- PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
- 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX)
- 2.95 ”(75.15 mm) [W] x 4.42 ”(112.4 mm) [H] x 0.60 ”(15.45 mm) [D]
- 7.23 oz (205 g)
- Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response
- Signal to Noise Ratio
- IMD SMPTE
- Output Impedance
- ±0.075dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalance & Balance
±0.56dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Unbalance / ±0.55dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Balance
- 116dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 116dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 130dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0007% @ 1kHz, Balance
- 0.0007% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balance
- Balanced out 2.5mm (1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm (2ohm)
- Clock Jitter
- Reference Clock Jitter
- 200 Femto Seconds
- 3,100mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
- Built-in Memory
- External Memory
- 64GB [NAND]
- microSD (Max 128GB) x1
- Windows XP, Windows 7,8,10 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up